Friday, December 21, 2012

The First Day Of Wintear

My Death Cab For Cutie cover band played another weird show the other night. We got paid. That was the weirdest part. I,m still sort of half-expecting the manager of the place to call me and tell me to give his money back. Lord knows that we didn,t earn it. I don,t know if I have ever really earned money. I,m white, so probably not.

The first band that played were a bunch of older funny guys and girls with hats and sunglasses inside at night. They sounded like a group of fourteen year olds who had asked for an instrument for Christmas and got a used on and immediately started playing shows with the other five fourteen year olds because they also had instruments. They never wrote songs or practiced, they just showed up and ,,jammed,, their hearts out. ,,That,s what music is about,,, they,d say as they played four different, nonexistent songs at the same time.
Toro Y Moi - Anything In Return
They looked like the mothers and fathers of those fourteen year olds. They were so proud of their children,s aspirations. They lived vicariously through them. They tried to make up for their own personal failures with the failures of their children. They ended up losing even more. The parents turned to alcohol and ignoring their spouses, but it was the fourteen year olds who really suffered. They had to grow into their parents, shoes. I guess that,s what the band was. I didn,t like them very much.

No comments: