Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Necessary

I know what day it is. It,s the most important day of the year. It,s three eleven day. It,s the day where all bass guitars are fretless and all rock songs have rap verses in them and anybody named Amber gets to drink Mexican beer for free. It,s a great day. Everybody is twelve years old again. All wallets have chains connected to them and all feet are bare.

To celebrate this amazing day, I went to the hospital and sat in a room with smelly people. I disliked all of them except for three. I liked the old lady who looked dignified and sort of mad. I liked the old man who had a beard and looked blankly in front of him the whole time. I liked how sad and disinterested he looked, but what really won me over is that he took the time to retrieve a tissue from his pocket and used it to cover his mouth while he coughed. He was a king among men. The other person I liked wasn,t really a person I liked. She was the only other young person in there. She was kind of pretty and fat which was cool, but that,s not what I liked about her. I liked that she was dressed like it was twelve years ago. She wore a very tight shirt with some tattoo company on it and tight jeans that flared slightly above her Converse All Stars. I liked that she had no idea that she was an adult.
Tangled Hair - First
My least favorite person was the man who stole my blood. I had to present my driver,s license at the front desk and then again when I went to see a doctor. They really want you to be who you say you are. The lady at the desk accepted me for who I am without any problems. She wasn,t there to judge. She just wanted to do her job and go home and ignore her husband and child. The doctor, on the other hand, was incredibly skeptical. He immediately made the comment that my hair looks different in my driver,s license picture than it does now. I told him that I had had a haircut in the past twelve years. He asked me what my birthday was and I told him and he seemed satisfied. Then, he started milking my veins. As the blood was flowing from my warm innards into the cold, harsh world, he asked me how old I was. He was quizzing me. He was already taking my precious fluids and he still didn,t really believe that I was me.

He filled one tube with my marinara and then started to fill another. Once that one was filled, he yanked the needle out of my body and threw it in the trash. He taped a cotton ball to me and then asked me my middle initial. He was finished draining my body of its life force and he was still grilling me. I looked at his chest to see if his fancy doctor,s cloak had his name embroidered on it, but it only said ,,Alabama.,, I don,t think that that,s his last name. I should have asked what it was so I could report him for being a maniac. I should have asked for his identification. I should have asked when he was born and then told him that he had a stupid birthday.

No comments: