Sunday, July 27, 2014

She Resembles You

Last night I went to a real punk show. It has been a very long time since I went to a punk show on purpose without having to play there myself. I now totally remember why I don,t do that anymore. The people there are awful. There is no demographic that makes me feel less comfortable than smelly, drunk, obnoxious kids wearing all black with spikes and weird jewelry.

I went to see one of the two good punk bands that currently exist and they were great. They were respectful. They played at a reasonable volume for a reasonable amount of time. They sounded good and they performed well. I couldn,t have asked for a better experience from them. The people watching them, however, were intolerably gross.
Nirvana - In Utero
I know that,s to be expected at a punk show, but I thought maybe it would have calmed down a little bit since 1981. I was wrong. There were still goons throwing full beers at people, idiots jumping off of stuff onto my brain holder, and there was even an aging, bleached punk troll who spit on the singer of the good band on purpose. I had never been surrounded by more terrible cartoons in my entire life.

I got home at one thirty in the morning and immediately took a shower, but the memory of having somebody,s disgusting head of filthy hair repeatedly pushed up against my face will never leave me. I am absolutely not cut out for punk music or any kind of music really. As the late, wonderful Charles Ives once said, ,,I sort of hate all music.,,

No comments: